Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding :: Biliopancreatic Diversion BPD
:: Tube Gastrectomy :: Gastric Bypass
Gastric Roux-En-Y Bypass
Here a small stomach pouch is created to restrict food intake. Next, a Y-shaped section of the small intestine is attached to the pouch to allow food to bypass the lower stomach, the duodenum (the first segment of the small intestine), and the first portion of the jejunum (the second segment of the small intestine). This bypass reduces the absorption of nutrients and thereby reduces the calorie intake.
- "Dumping syndrome" if sweets and chocolates taken
- Good operation for sweet eaters
- Long track record
- Tend to lose a little more weight than gastric band
- Open surgery therefore increased risks
- Longer recovery time
- Not reversible
- Staple line leak
- Minor late weight regain 10-20% after 2-5 yrs
- Nutritional/ mineral supplements required
Residual stomach capacity: 30-50mls
Estimated weight loss: 60-70% EWL over 2 years.